Thread: 240 General: - valve cover ticking panic
View Single Post
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 10:21   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibano View Post
it is the original pierburg. I feared that the screw was going to make no difference. I hope for the better, this journey (and my lack of skills in dealing with it myself) is proving testing. hope I won't have to sell the car in the end...
I didn't realise it was lpg too ! you have the same problem on LPG and petrol so it seems something fundimental is wrong with the fine tuning , Cam timing? Ignition timing? Air leak is the favourite .
You say when on LPG you pull the choke and it is better ??? you mean the LPG choke or the choke for petrol ? ( yes there was a choke button on the volvo approved landi-Hartog systems fitted by dealers from 1978 to the mid 1980's )

The pierburg is highly unlikely to be in good condition especially when using LPG ! Volvo advised the needle was changed every 24000 miles due to no lubrication with LPG , so the petrol mixture would be getting richer and richer as it wore .
The needle and Jet should be renewed , Needle "PN" if i remember right .

The float level is prone to rising over time due to a weak plastic hinge pin support bridge relaxing it's strength , again fuel mixture would get richer and richer over time and poor hot starting so a new bridge piece would be needed and float level setting would need checking . diaphragm should be changed at 24000 miles to prevent breakdowns and It's plastic retaining ring distorts so replace that too ! It should have a metal support ring to strengthen it but they often went missing years ago .

Having said all that get it running nicely on LPG first , then look into the carburettor ... The Pierburg really is a fuel guzzler if not maintained properly ..

If you are still using your original head have the valve clearances been checked and adjusted ? With LPG the seats can indeed wear reducing the gaps .