View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 13:15   #15
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

You need to go back to basics and follow the installation instructions in the pdf.

I believe it mentions winding the calliper out until you only have 1mm clearance (between piston and pad) when you have it fitted.

This will allow the mechanism to self adjust.

This method does work as I used a similar method when I installed an new calliper and my handbrake is fine and doesn't lose its adjustment.

With that in mind I believe I did slacken off the handbrake adjuster in order to remove the cable from the calliper. In which case I would have adjusted it back up till the levers on the callipers are just starting to lift off. Apparently 1mm or less clearance with the stops with the handbrake off is okay.

Thinking it through, if you have working brakes then your callipers are probably auto-adjusted up okay and what you need to do now is adjust the hand brake cable adjuster nut (under the centre console) until the levers are just coming off the stops with the handbrake off. You may want to back it off then to get your less than 1mm clearance or so that it just touches the stop.

I think you will find that sorts your problem.

If everything is correctly adjusted and travel is still a bit long then find a steep hill near you and brake firmly a few times whilst going down it (at a safe speed). I find this usually improves matters.