View Single Post
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 15:23   #32
kwills

Ok, just to wrap this up and close it off... the so called easy DIY Volvo Repair kit is neither easy nor anything specifically to do with Volvo or their fitments... The guy sends you half of a HID kit for £35 with no additional plug and play sockets. For anyone who is looking at them, I would save yourself the effort and money and just buy a HID Kit setup for D2S bulbs for the same price if you don't want to fork out 105 for a new replacement ballast. You will get 2 ballasts, 2 D2S sockets and the bulbs.

The guy on ebay only gives you a generic blanket response but essentially his business model is buying a HID kit for £35 and splitting the pack out to essentially double his money every time.

You will have to cut and solder the input wires into the original ballast. For anyone in the same situation, the Yellow is Live which connects to the red on the aftermarket ballast with the Brown wire attaching to the Black wire on the aftermarket ballast. I went through the normal protocol on the multi meter.

Additionally, you will lose key features that you had on the Bi Xenon setup.. Don't be led to think this will be an equal replacement to your factory ballast. Your xenons no longer have the functionality of the photo sensor which turns your lights when you go through a tunnel or it becomes dark.. Active Bi Xenon will also not work.

Hope that wraps everything up but I would just pay £105 to buy a proper ballast (available on the bay of E) and save yourself the effort or buy the 35 quid non canbus his kit if you don't mind the soldering part.

Thanks BJB for all your help

Last edited by kwills; Nov 5th, 2016 at 16:58.
kwills is offline   Reply With Quote