Thread: S40 V40 Parts: - Please I need help my car is whistleing!
View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 21:56   #33
canis
Non Fragile

Well, my phase 1 1600 twin OHC 'i' engine (prob'ly same as yours) most definately will contact if the timing is off far enough. I don't know how far off you'd need to be, it's not something I really want to find out. But that's why the timing mark on the bottom pulley is there - to put all the pistons half-way up/down in their cylinders. At that point (ninety degrees after (I think!) top dead centre) no interference will occur no matter how much you twizzle the camshafts.

Be aware (as that diving fellow makes the point above) that if you take off a pulley without locking the camshafts in position you risk losing the fine timing point,. Although the belt is on and the marks line up on the pulleys, the pulleys have some play in their oval-shaped holes.

In practice it is possible to time the engine without a locking tool in place, but it's definately a stupid idea to try. I had no choice. And I'm stupid. But I got away with it (mostly by putting the bolts back exactly where they came from - your engine may not be as rusty as mine so this might be a bit difficult, especially if it's wiggled this way and that rubbing off the patina as it does so).

Basically, as soon as you slacken the bolts holding the pulley in place, the timing mark on the pulley must be doubted, and to trust it blindly is to invite poor running, and even disaster.

Best just to obtain a tool. I, alas, lack such financial clout. But that's a lifestyle choice, or so Cameron has failed to convince me. I make up for it in resourcefullness and cunning - such is The Way of the Anarcho Suburban Guerilla Survivalist. You'd think I'd give it all up and settle for a quiet life in the suburbs, work all day, hoover out the pre-requisite "BMW anything-i" on saturday mornings... I tried... I really tried... but I led a different life.

What a strangely wonderful (and wonderfully strange) community we have here! I bet none of us would give each other the time of day normally. But our Volvo's unite us, for some daft reason I'm still trying to fathom. Thanks to Volvo we can be truly classless, sat behind the anonymity of a computer keyboard.

Man, really rattling some morse tonight. Must be lonely or something. Flying to the sun, sweet caroline, sweet caroline, sweet caroline. Good night, and God bless. Canis, out.

Last edited by canis; Oct 21st, 2016 at 21:59. Reason: Because I can do random posting too, but then, I've never swam with jellyfish! :-)
canis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: