View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 16:03   #7
moneysh
Volverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
Going from what I've read on here, I'm not sure if you can get a D4 remapped, wasn't that the first of the ECU's that Volvo locked? Hopefully someone will be able to confirm. If so, that would restrict you to Volvo's own PoleStar map, which is expensive (~£800) and conservative at about +15hp. They market it as optimizing efficiency - guess that means you've got the choice to use the extra power or the economy. I hear that insurers have been known not to mind a remap of < 10% extra power, but it should be declared in any case. You'd have to check with yours.

Re the alloys, 17" are widely regarded to ride noticeably better than 18", but still look good. With the D4 you'll have the larger front brake discs, 17" will be fine but before you go for 16" it would be worth checking if they will fit over the calipers. Again I think I've read on here that the Castulas will be OK, but while IMHO aftermarket would look much better, that's when you'd need to check for clearance. Can't see the insurance having any issue if you downgrade your wheels within the Volvo range, but you might need to tell them about aftermarket.

Your 6-speed Geartronic on the D4 is a newer version of the 5-speed AW box they used with the D5. That certainly put a big dent in the economy compared to a manual, where 45MPG is easy. Even on the manual though, I notice quite a large drop in economy as soon as you get to 70mph (2K RPM). At 65, that's just over 1850 and it'll get 45-50 all day long. I would be interested to know what the gearing is like on the D4 auto, as it's one thing I would consider as a replacement for mine, should it get unecomic to maintain.
Thanks a ton Proghound. You've pretty much clarified everything for me. Remap isn't worth if > £400 personally.

This site says 16" - 7.5j (instead of the regular 7j) is recommended for winter !!
http://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/c70/2011/
The castulas are £208 each!! Hence exploring aftermarket that sell for £400 a set. As you've said there are some really cool looking ones..Will drive into an Alloywheel place over the weekend and check the calipers' clearance.

Coming from C220 7 speed Auto gearbox...the D4 Geartronic is comparable(to the Sport mode rather than Eco) if not better..I even had one of my mate, who drives a 530d Auto, complement the seamless gear shifts in my D4.As you've rightly said, driving in the A roads < 70 I could hit 41.8, while the motorway alternative @ Cruise set at 80 mph pulls it down to 39!!This is where I miss my C220 - its nominal operating speed seems to 80 mph...only on stretches where I would exceed 85(shh...German Autobahns)..i could see the drop in economy!!

I generally under inflate the tyres by 5% to extract a softer ride..so that option to get a better economy is ruled out too!!
moneysh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moneysh For This Useful Post: