View Single Post
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 13:50   #978
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I note that quite a few newly-developed engines go for ad blue to solve this issues. Maybe Volvo were a little behind the curve in modern thinking although they did develop the new VEA before the current range of Jaguar engines (which I believe use ad blue), so maybe everyone learning as they go and just a part of the evolution of the combustion engine story!

The fact that Rooster indicates the my7 engines engines will incorporate ad blue does seem to lead to their thinking on EGR was a little flawed at best or inappropriate at worst.

Squirting 'stuff' into the exhaust system chamber post-combustion to reduce NOx does on the face of it seem a little easier to understand than the complex and temperamental working of the EGR.

Maybe a case of less being more - especially if a low(er)-tech approach does it better!
I remember reading an interview with the chief powertrain engineer on the development VEA motors - he stated that they deliberately avoided using AdBlue on the VEA diesels because of the additional complication (tank, pump, injector, etc), and the extra service requirement of keeping the tank topped up, compared with what he described as "advanced EGR functionality."

So that went well, then
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote