View Single Post
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 09:21   #44
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Apologies for the slow reply...not sure how I managed to let this slip through the net!

Ah...V6 stuff...sadly I don't have any of that! The metering unit I have is for a redblock.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day, actually. Reputedly the only difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl AW71s is the bellhousing. That is certainly true of an M46, as my friend put a B230ET one behind his B280 by just swapping the bellhousing.

I'd be happy to let the AW71s go for £25 a piece, given that I'm not sure of their condition. Sadly next-to-nothing of the shifter mechanism is there - essentially just a bare box. Can you be more specific about the slip yoke? A quick Google has shown me a spline-to-half-UJ piece, but I can't picture anything like that in the Volvo drivetrain aside from half of the propshaft.

EDIT: It looks like the "D24" box might actually be an early redblock box, which I have mid-identified...yet (IIRC) there's no speed cable drive...? I'll look at that more closely at some point!

cheers

James
Thanx for the response James - in the interim I've managed to get an AW71 - that was taken from a daily driver. However - no bellhousing !

I'ver been offered a ZF box from a V6, but again nort sure of the bellhousing.

I see the "slip yoke" on the Volvos is actually part of the box and bolted in !! My experience has always been with US boxes, which in the main have a sliding [ slip ] splined yoke.

I WILL need the front half of the Volvo prop at some stage to mate up with the rear diff yoke.
beachcomber550 is offline   Reply With Quote