Thread: 240 General: - tapping and juddering
View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:55   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default tapping and juddering

Two faults have developed recently, possibly connected, or perhaps not.

1) There has always been a ticking noise from the valve gear, gradually getting more noticeable, and then recently louder and persistant.
I checked the tappet clearances, and found all spot on apart from one which was only 5 thou. I fixed that, but it made no difference. Not sure if a tight valve could make a noise or not.
After a week I checked the clearances again. All still correct, except that a different one was now 18 thou. I fixed that, rechecked after a week, and all still are correct.

None of this makes any difference to the noise. It is more noticeable when cold, diminishes when hot, and disappears above about 2000 rpm. It is related to engine load, disappearing when I press the accelerator.
So preumably nothing to do with valves and timing? Piston slap? Small end bearing? Broken piston ring?
The engine runs well, has bags of power, no smoke, doesn't use oil.

2) There is a vibrating judder when accelerating hard in lower gears, especially 2nd and 3rd, seems to be related to engine speed, in the 1500-2000 rpm range. It disappears above 2500.
It also does it a tiny bit on hard deceleration, say 20 - 10 mph in 2nd.

I've replaced a very worn prop centre support bearing and soggy rubber support, but it made no difference. Also gearbox rubber mounting, and checked the prop shaft joints. All free but no play.

It seems to be transmission, as there is no sign when revving the engine, and varies with gear selected.

Worn gearbox bearings? Something in the clutch?
It doesn't always do it. Less when hot, and sometimes goes away if I declutch and then re-engage.

I can't see any reason to link the two noises, except that both began at the same time.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote