View Single Post
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 16:39   #4
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1275 View Post
I'm pointing to the cylinder head because the camshafts have a chatter noise now this isn't really noticeable from looking and listening until you put your ear to the cam bearing cover this without doubt is mainly heard inside the car it's chattering from top of engine and heard through air vents across top of dash it doesn't get any louder if I rev engine and its definitely coming from engine top end
could this be a blockage of oil restriction to top end ?
Also could it be valve clearance (valve chatter)
what is causing such high oil pressure
could it be the Vvt pulley gear at fault
If you have very noticeable valve chatter especially when revving harder when driving this is caused by the sump "O" rings between the two sump surfaces being dislodge or deformed and reduces oil to the head and camshaft bearings and yes, it will up the oil pressure accordingly......you may notice that the noise will suddenly go when high up in the revs sometimes but not every time as the oil pressure will overcome the blockage!

It is a very common problem on the 960 which i had with the very same problem.....the engines are identical except the 960 is the straight 6 cylinder but all same block components.

When mechanics rebuild the 960`s they always put two "O"rings in situ to make sure there is no extra room for deformation...

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Mar 11th, 2015 at 16:42.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote