Thread: Information: - ETM Court Case
View Single Post
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 15:45   #4
arvs31260

Default Question to Volvo Cars UK - Sweden - USA

A very valid point to raise to Volvo. We see Amazons, 240s, 700 and many other production years cars on the highway after decades of use. How many of these have had such expensive and 'catastrophic' parts failures? I would hazard a guess few! What I am getting at here is that Volvo made a decision in 1999 to change/modify the throttle system.
The 'modification' was not time proven in so much as the part used was inferior to the usual stringent quality systems Volvo employ. The failure of this part which has been 'determined' by the US to require replacement though emissions issues, is in fact dangerous and thereby compromising the very foundation mission statement Volvo have traded on - SAFETY.
Here in the UK we see product recalls for all manners of quality and build failure. More importantly those affecting the health of children are totally withdrawn or replaced/refunded. Most people buy Volvos because they want them to protect their family. Majority of people can ill afford new Volvos, so settle for second hand. Not all come from a main dealer.
There is a serious issue here for Volvo to attend to in a manner other than beating around the bush and giving 'negotiated' or 'discretionary' discounts for replacement units. I would happily pay £200 for a part to be replaced on my car. For 4 years Volvo (Ford) made profit on the sales of cars with safety as the main selling point. Many of those who bought new have undoubtedly sold their cars on, and those who haven't are now paying big money for a part to be replaced.
So come on Volvo, best you can do is replace F.O.C. or worst for me is offer to replace for £200.