View Single Post
Old Oct 27th, 2014, 20:49   #20
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex121 View Post
The thing is, is that it always does it at around the same point of my journey, I do a lot of hard driving down the country roads once the engine is warm, then join a main road about 30 minutes into the drive, so normal driving resumes with traffic, then I take a roundabout to join the M3 and that's when I notice I've lost boost - Always after hard driving then 10 mins of calm driving. It's very strange!
I've seen extremely similar symptoms with both of my Mondeo TDs (Yes, I really am comparing an 89bhp paraffin-burner to a thoroughbred petrol turbo.. because its a turbo-car specific issue)

It was caused by a small valve on the fuel pump which opens to increase flow rate when the turbo comes online at (in that car) 1600rpm. Fresh from cold it worked fine, when fully warmed up it worked fine if constantly adjusted. After 10 mins of driving at a steady throttle setting it would stick and when I next opened the taps nothing would happen

(As opposed to something slowly starting to happen in an only moderately interesting way, which is what Mondeo TDs excel at)

So does the T4 fuel pump have a valve that opens with increased boost? possibly solenoid controlled? A new solenoid fixed both my cars when it occurred.