Thread: P1800 electrics
View Single Post
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:04   #4
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Disconnect the other wires in turn from the fusebox until you find the other one that sparks... the current going in from your large brown one must be going out again somewhere. Continue similar procedures until you find where it's ending up...

Mind you I have a suspicion that the throwout coil in the regulator isn't doing its job - perhaps the contacts have welded themselves together. So you could try checking the regulator for stuck contacts and the like, or disconnecting the wires going to the dynamo and seeing if that stops it... I'd expect the dynamo to get a bit warm as well after the battery's been discharging through it for some time; I must say I have a job to think of anywhere else you could dump all the energy from a charged battery in 20 minutes without something catching fire, and I'm a bit surprised the dynamo isn't smelling.
I think you are right. There is a strong 'electrical' smell around when I hook up the battery for longer than a couple of minutes. I thought it was the starter solenoid sticking on at first to cause such a big discharge -there was evidence of hammer marks on the solenoid from some previous attempt to sort it. But, replacing the starter with a known working one didn't solve the rapidly discharging battery.
So, I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks,

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote