Thread: XC70: Gearbox - Auto Transmission Fluid Change
View Single Post
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 10:27   #13
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yes, I fully understand the Torque was never going to be the ideal option for measuring the ATF temperature, but it may have been able to at least help identify when the ATF is between 50 and 60 degrees C, rather than just guess work.

As it is, I repeated the process on Friday after taking the car for a drive to help mix the ATF. When I came to do the leveling procedure and removed the sump plug, a good amount of fluid dropped out before I realised something was not right and put the plug back in. The temperature must have hit 60C and opened a valve as nearly 2L of extra ATF came out. I would strongly advise that any owner performing this task lets the car completely cool down before you start the leveling procedure, otherwise the residual heat soak from the engine and gearbox means you will reach 60C very quickly. As it was late Friday afternoon/evening when I was doing this, I left it overnight and did the leveling on Saturday morning.

Also the part number for the crush washer on the Level Indicator Pipe is 30713220. The initial washer given to me by my dealer was wrong and they had to search for this number through a repair procedure.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post: