View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 15:47   #11
alexstanleyv50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Perhaps you've had other unfortunate faults leading to the O-ring failure: firstly the sump has been compromised by hitting something and has subsequently been removed/refitted (possibly a couple of times too) and secondly if your car had suffered the oil breather diaphragm failure at some point and wasn't attended to quickly it could have subjected the O rings to excessive pressures and dislodging them?

I wonder also if someone had added an oil treatment which the O rings took a dislike to, some kind of flushing agent that was perhaps left in too long or some other 'magic treatment' which did more harm than good.

You've had this car a few months? me thinks you've inherited a problem the previous owner got tired of, possible 'fixed' for the sale by increasing the oil thickness (or an additive) to raise the pressure enough to keep the warning light off whereas the real issue was a dislodged O ring after the sump had been 'repaired'.

I hope it'll be fine now, I'm sure it will and treat it to good Oil, I use Silkolene/Fhuchs Race oil it's brilliant stuff.
Well fingers crossed, so far no oil light. She's had some lovely Castrol Edge FST for Volvo Cars and is running sweet.

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote