Thread: Suspension: 164: - Front lower balljoints - what gives?
View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 19:13   #1
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Default Front lower balljoints - what gives?

Sorry guys. Pigeon's asking about 164s again...

My new acquisition passed its MoT today (thankyou Lord) with an advisory on play in the lower balljoints on both sides. No problem, thinks Pigeon, done those on the Amazon, not difficult. Onto the phone, order two balljoints from Amazon Cars. We discuss postage... "I reckon they'll be in boxes about 4 inches cube." "Yes, they are." Order placed.

Down to the garage, off with the front wheels to wire brush dirt off the relevant area and make a preparatory application of WD40 to forestall difficulties in dismantling...

On the Amazon the balljoints have one big nut on the end of the taper and four bolts holding the protruding legs to the lower wishbone...

On the 164 I can't see any kind of bolts holding them to the wishbone at all. More wire brush. No, still can't see any bolts...

I haven't, by some horrid chance, got some 164 variant where the balljoints are integral with the wishbone and I have to get the balljoint and wishbone all as one piece? Did they ever do that? Because if they did I'm going to have to get onto Amazon Cars quickish and modify my order...

The chap I spoke to didn't seem to anticipate anything of the kind, didn't ask me any question that one might expect if there were two or more variants.

It would be nice if someone could answer this before the morning, please!

Thanks in advance...

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote