View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 11:56   #1
joeylad

Post S40 2.0d 2005-2007 model - is it a wise purchase?

I have been recently looking at purchasing a relatively cheap (3-4,000 euro mark) car initially to cover in excess of 700km per week for about 8 weeks and then maybe no more than 50km a week thereafter.

I have been drawn to the Volvo S40 as it fits the price range I am looking at for the years im searching (2005-2007). So I am putting it out there to owners within that range of years of a 2.0d S40 - what is the car like? Would you recommend buying one? And most importantly does it give much grief? I am very concerned about the DPF and it seems to be extremely difficult to determine from this forum or most others I have researched in the past days if it actually is installed in this version of the car. 1.6d yes... but the 2.0d seems to turn up conflicting reports of it being installed or not.

I was also advised by an owner to make sure the ECU is in order or it will give no end of grief as one of his friends had reported to him.

Its my first diesel car, I'm wondering would I be better off investing in a 1.8L petrol model but the fuel economy on that appears to be atrocious...

Any advice welcome!
joeylad is offline   Reply With Quote