View Single Post
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 15:38   #1
johnsaab

Default New V66 in the stables.

The hunt for a tidy early Toyota Starlet for my Girlfriend has been fruitless. We started to look at other cars when a V66 turned up on ebay just a few miles down the road. In a moment of madness (and after several bottles of beer) I made an offer..hadn't even seen the car..the seller said "yes" so we agreed to collect it 2 days later.
Sarah likes to name her cars..this one for some reason is "Percy"???
[IMG]
[IMG]
70's seat covers are unbearably hot in summer..

I have had to a few jobs already, the plugs were fouled up and the carb is weeping a little. The gear linkage was sloppy so I took it apart to find the rear bush in the selector rod was missing..I made a new nylon bush and it selects properly now. The brakes were appauling but adjusting the hand brake sorted that. The head has been changed to an unleaded item and it has Pertronix electronic ignition fitted..the drive belts have been replaced recently. Good matching tyres all around.
My next job is to look at the clutch plate..I think it needs shimming as there is judder when pulling away. The previous owner fitted a new clutch plate and he than had problems so i'm hoping thats all it is.
Looking for several parts including front damper boots, a really good bonnet (plan to re-spray the car and the bonnet is battered and warped) The rear drums are starting to craze and the handbrake cable is on it's last thread.
More as and when it happens but we are really pleased with it..it drives well once you have pulled away and is surprisingly nippy.

Last edited by johnsaab; Jul 10th, 2014 at 15:41.
johnsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnsaab For This Useful Post: