View Single Post
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 15:22   #30
lovebuthatem

Default ETM Oh B*!!*R this is going to cost me..

V70 2.4T 2000 119K
Bought 6 months ago at 112k.

Has developed sometimes irratic throttle on idle, hunting to 1200rpm then dropping to almost stall. Has stalled on hitting slow traffic after fast run, then lit up PERFOMANCE REDUCED, subsequently problem disappeared. Occasionally drops out of cruise when selecting +.

Have it serviced by good independent but took to Volvo Dealer with the problem, they cleaned and reseated Exhaust sensor, said there were no error codes shown. But 2 months later problem still there. I have put up with it

Having read this thread and also the info on VexedVolvo would be 99.9% sure its the ETM. Am now going to contact Volvo dealer again, anyone have any tips on approach? Anyone sent the stuff on Don Willson's site to Volvo UK?

Brief update: Contacted Volvo Dealer, they went away to consult, came back to fone and asked me to call VCUK Customer Services because they weren't sure what to advise me.

It went like this-

VC UK: Hello this is ***** How can I help you?
Me: Hello ******, I have a [car details] that is exhibiting all the signs of early ETM failure, I have been told to call you by my local dealer, I know that there has been a problem with this part on these cars and VCUSA has extended warranty to 200k, I would like to know how VCUK are dealing with matters.
VC UK: The Stateside warranty extension situation would not be known by UK Volvo dealer.
Me: I realised that, I said, but given that Volvo coproration has a problem on this part, I want to know what VCUK position is.
VC UK: Book the car into your dealer, there is a FOC clean and software upgrade, up to 200k mls ,if that is diagnosed as the problem on your car.
Me: Thank you, That's all very well but I can't see a clean and software upgrade repairing worn out carbon strips on the potentiometer.
VC UK: Diagnosing the problem and making corrective actions are the responsibility of your Volvo dealer.
Me: Understood, but what if the wear on these parts means that your dealer will be effecting a repair that is at best temporary and very likely to result in customer disatisfaction in a short period of time?
VC UK: The dealer should contact us in the event that the above corrective actions are thought to be inadequate.
Me: Oh good, is there a service note reference I can quote? Only the dealers service department didn't seem aware of the procedure.
VC UK: No sir, there are policies the dealer can refer to, they will know where to access them.

Hmm for some reason I wasn't thanked for calling VC UK.

Anyone interested in the next bit? Any predictions? Post a reply if you want to hear the next outcome....

Last edited by lovebuthatem; Nov 15th, 2006 at 16:51. Reason: updated information