View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 13:26   #14
FullEnglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
As your 'van is 1960's it will not have an automatic reverse device in the drum; later ones cannot be braked in reverse because the mechanism allows the actuator to release the brakes when the wheel turns backwards.
Yup, reversing is a pain, there's a manual overrun lever that you have to get out and flip over. I do have a big 12v solenoid (an old diesel shutoff solenoid) which I'll wire in to the reversing lights to do the job for me when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
Regarding your other question about whether the brakes are as effective in either direction of rotation: it depends on the design of the brake.
If the shoes are identical then, in theory, the braking force should be the same; but often the shoes are different and one will have the friction material cut short, or the material will be placed closer to the fulcrum end on one shoe than on the other. You can also get Twin Leading Shoe brakes which are much more efficient in the forward direction than in reverse; these are identified by having two actuators in each drum. They are quite common on drum braked cars and motor cycles, but I have not seen them on trailers.
Hmmm. Both shoes have have the friction material cut short towards the top of the shoe (away from the fulcrum end). But I have only one actuator. Are the shoes the wrong ones??
FullEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote