Thread: S40 V40: - oil light on
View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2014, 20:47   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrismen View Post
Engine warning light is usually the sensor failed. Check the sensor fuse (engine comp) and replace it for another. Is it running hot or normal temp?

If there is thin oil in the engine now, then it will need some thicker oil in it to boost the oil pressure for an older engine. So, if its got 0W/30 in it then try putting in some 15W/40 to thicken it up, or just drain and replace with 10W/40 Castrol (recommended). Pressures look ok to me - at least you have oil pressure at the lower level. There is also a black oil breather pipe top front of the engine which can get clogged up. Check that's clean too.
If the warning light responds correctly when the ignition is turned on, the chances of the low oil pressure sensor failing after the engine is started are very, very slim.

If any engine is burning oil, it's worth checking the CCV system is functioning correctly and an engine that has sludged up is more likely to have blocked the vent.

Castrol Edge 0/30 is a real good oil for use in Canada or Siberia during the winter, but I agree an older engine should use an x/40 during the summer. None of the Iffy lube places in Germany use x/30 grades for older Volvo cars, even though it is in limits according to the handbook.

It would be a good idea to use an oil that cleans well to help get the top end clean, as the sump is only half the story. I would recommend Shell Ultra 5/40 as a good value cleaner and I would change it after only 3K miles, or earlier if it gets real black.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote