View Single Post
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:24   #22
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I would guess We Buy any car would add somewhere towards a couple of grand to that offer
I did the round of all the cash-for-cars companies when I let my last car go. Part ex price from the dealer was pretty average, but the discount on new was so good I didn't mind. Selling privately was possible but a lot of people do have an issue with outstanding finance. I cleared this before selling but LR finance were less rapid about updating whoever it is people check with, so I had some walk away because of that. I couldn't afford to sell too early though, so needed a back-stop in case private selling ran on a while. WBAC were the best online, but lots of stories of them haggling the backside off the quoted price when the day came. Out the blue another buyer said they would beat any quote, and added £400 to the WBAC price. Fixed a date, they came to the house, looked at the car for 5 minutes, knocked £200 off for damage to two alloys (fair enough, they did need polished), then had the money in my bank before they left. Painless, easy, honest and I ended up with £1800 more than the part ex offer.

I'd been dubious about a lot of those buyers before (and still am for many of them - over £3k variation in online valuations) but in the end it was a breeze. Definitely specific to some models though, some colleagues at work tried valuing their cars when they heard about it, and SUVs seemed to fair OK, but smaller and city cars were a mile off actual value.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote