Thread: 240 vs 740
View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 11:09   #32
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystone View Post
Hello Chaps,

I am new to forum, but have a question to pose - are the engines of 240s and 740s swappable? I have a '88 740 GLE which I run every day and love it so much that I cannot bear to scrap it now it has blown the head (oh the shame) ; I don't have much cash to chuck at it and I have been offered a 240 due to be scrapped as a donor engine. My local engineer chum (with too many years under his belt!) reckons it can be swapped over relative easily…worth it? My 88 is a beaut, 100K, one owner etc etc and it'd be criminal to break - i couldn't sleep at night!

Cruising around the forums gives me conflicting info..(!)

Ideas? Do-able?

cheers, Roy.
What do you mean by"blown the head"? If your head gasket has failed then surely replacing that is the best option - you should investigate the underlying cause of the gasket failure though.

Apropos whether"swappable", would depend on what red block is in the 240, the 740GLE has fuel injection, what engine does the 240 have - B200, B230, carb, injection..?

Anything is possible but there's more work involved in an engine swap than a gasket change.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote