Thread: 240 vs 740
View Single Post
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 08:25   #12
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
Negatives, Engine leaked oil over my drive, 20mpg, factory sunroof leaked, and worst of all the interior. All the plastics are crap, no make that CRAP !!!. Rattles, squeaks, cracked dash, broken door plastics, headlining hanging down, etc etc.
Knocking the 740 is a little unfair, and unjustified as you've obviously bought a lemon that's been used as a workhorse (read van). Put it into context; the youngest 740 is best part of 24/25 years old, so knocking a car for a sagging headlining is to my mind plain daft.

With regard to plastics: I have three 740s - two 745s and one 744 (2 x 1986 cars, 1 x 1987 car). All of their plastics are in good condition and unbroken; no rattles, squeaks or groans, and only a very minor dash crack in one car.

No oil leaks and no rust.

I'm biased but not blind to any faults the car might have; faults that result from the abuse or lack of care of previous owners are NOT car faults they're owner faults!

I also have just bought a 1989, one owner from new 245DL, a car that's lived a sheltered life and this car's biggest fault are the rusty rear arches - my 700s have no rust in the arches whatsoever and they're older than the 245.

Saggy headling vs rusty wheelarches? That's a no-brainer.

I do like 200s though (pics of mine to come), and I don't like facelift 700s or 900s.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote