Thread: General: - Help!! have I bought a lemon?!?
View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 22:37   #26
krisby
2.5T screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
It's a big problem with almost any modern car with an automatic transmission (one of the reasons I avoid them like the plague). Pick a brand...there'll be stories! As they've been asked to handle more torque over the years, they're rarely cooled adequately, and pressure on service schedules has seen routine fluid changes dropped.

I saw a fantastic quote the other week...something along the lines of "It is fair to say that 'sealed for life' transmissions do not need the fluid changing in the lifespan of the gearbox, but the missing detail is that the lifespan of the gearbox will have been artificially shortened because the fluid hasn't been changed...!"

cheers

James
True, BMW say the same yet there are stories of failed autos. My 528 was hitting 140,000 and on hard kick down there was a thump, was hard to tell if it was the gear box, drive shaft or rear diff, but given the miles as a precaution I had the gearbox flushed, not sure about volvos, but for my Beemer not many garages around tackle it, my usual guy wasn't equipped and used another chap instead, 2 hours work and it cost me £430, , but it was worth it, the thump disappeared and I was able to rag it again without fear of breaking it.
krisby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krisby For This Useful Post: