View Single Post
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 14:23   #115
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
So what exactly do they intend to do??

It seems like a pretty cut and dry case here. You DPF is blocked and the car is triggering regen after regen which in turn is contaminating the oil due to the excess regen cycles.

The simple way to sort the problem is to change the DPF. Ho hard can it be for them to come to that conclusion? As the car is still in warranty then this should be replaced by Volvo.

I would keep pushing them to replace.

They really don't seem to know what to do. Is that possible? Is it a case of can't fix or won't fix? I wish I knew.

As mentioned, there was some talk of taking the injectors out and having them tested. I asked them who was going to be paying for this - I brought it up because they told me I’d be expected to pay for the oil analysis if the results were negative (oil good). This seemed to take the wind out of their sails a bit. I think the parting words were to the effect that they would be guided by Volvo HQ and the service manager was going to do some reading on this forum. I've had no feedback at all since then.

In fairness to the service manager, could there be anything in the injector theory? I did a search on this forum last night – typed in the word “injectors” and then spent the next couple of hours reading about DPF and sensor issues. The only reference I noticed (to injectors) was a guy who had a Ford with a sump full of diesel – apparently caused by an incomplete DPF delete. The car was still doing regens on a DPF that was no longer there. He said at best it would need an oil change and a new set of injectors, at worst a whole new engine! I think it may have been a post by Shark.

In the short time I’ve had the car, I’ve only used low sulphur diesel (50ppm). I don't know what the previous owner used. (500ppm is readily available everywhere)

I'm under the impression diesels are notoriously long lived. Even if the previous owner used (500ppm) could the injectors be stuffed at such a relatively low mileage because of this? Also, would anyone be so foolish as to risk compromising their cars engine for the sake of a few cents difference in the pump price – especially when you consider the cost of the vehicle in the first place? Further to this, as the car had a full service history and the service schedules were meticulously adhered to, wouldn't Volvo service personnel have picked up some early warning signs?

Anyway, if anyone has solved symptoms like the ones I’ve described by replacing injectors alone, I would very much like to hear from you!

For the benefit of anyone reading this, I’d also like to add a reminder that the V50's (and presumably the sedan equivalent) WITH POWERSHIFT, do not have the additive tank at the rear under the car. They use the same system as the D5 and rely on extra diesel being injected into the engine to raise exhaust gas temperature during the regen cycles.
chrisdc is offline   Reply With Quote