View Single Post
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 20:10   #1
bingus666

Question 98 V70 XC AWD thunks!

So cruising along & coming to a turn or roundabout, I slow down & turn... then "CLUNK" like a metal hammer hitting underneath... only happens when I slow down to take roundabout or signal turn...

so after hours of thrawling I came across this in an Hamerican site:

Thunk:
A thunk is defined as a loud "thunk" or "bang" that you can physically feel come up through the bottom of the car. Like it is being hit with a hammer. Typical symptom is when moving from park to Drive or reverse to drive or drive to reverse. When you are in motion all will be as normal and there will be no noises except when you come to a stop and start again. Upon starting again you are likely to get the thunk.
Probable Cause and Diagnosis:
It is highly likely it is the mounting bushing on the front of the viscous coupler. Here is what happens. The rubber bushing itself will look good. There will be no evidence of side to side movement. What you won't realize or be able to spot initially is that the bushing has separated from the steel carrier. When you put the car in gear and the drive train engages, as it torks the VC, the VC rides up over the rubber bushing and hits the bottom of the car making a "bang" or "thunk". This won't come on particularly slowly, from the 1st hint of a thunk, to a full blown bang will only take a few drives. To verify this is the case there are a few things to do and look for.

My prob is: what is viscous coupler? I think this is the US terminology but I've no idea what this is... basically I need to find out part number & the fix!

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers, bingus666