View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:46   #7
catflem
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpy View Post
Use a good quality brake pipe spanner. I did some rear pipes and flexi on my 850, needed to as RHR caliper connection wouldn't undo. I ended up rounding it off, then chewed up the connection on the flexi before I got a proper spanner, I ended up with a snap-on brake spanner second hand from e-bay that did the rest no problem. I think it was 11mm rather than 3/8 though but it was perfect

Tha caliper connection I chewed up I never got undone even off the car, fortunately the caliper was scrap anyway.

I got my brake pipes made up at a local motor factors with flares and fittings. Took the old ones in and they used them for length, but I bent them to shape.

Good luck with it.

What's a double flare by the way and how do you spot it? The ones I fitted had ends made identical to the ones that came off which I deemed to be good enough. They were also properly de-burred, I have seen replacement pipes with sharp bits around the opening after flaring.
Every joint was completely fubarred (someone had obviously had a pop at it before) so I've had to go back all the way to the abs union as that was the only one that was undoable even with a flared brake spanner.

The nearest car factors who are able to make up brake lines are 45 miles away and want £3.50 per foot !. As its the rear break line that would work out at about £35 to £40 - so I thought sod em, I'll do it myself.

I've assembled most of the bits and pieces needed, I'm just awaiting the arrival of the flexible hose today before I venture out and set about it.

There's a handy video on You tube I'll be following - I will be using some lube though (on the pipe I hasten to add :-) ). He explains how to do a double flare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNePrGR1D-s

Last edited by catflem; May 31st, 2013 at 08:54.
catflem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catflem For This Useful Post: