Thread: Body/Trim: - Rear Bumper Removal - Guide
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2013, 21:06   #9
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Guys

Undo the four nuts - I say nuts, but they are welded to sleeves.... as see here with a foam cover... I used a short extension and be careful - you dont want to drop the sleeves inside the chassis which is very piossible if you are clumsy when withdrawing them.

Assembly is reverse of removal
Thanks for this useful guide. My rear sensors have been o/s for over a year now so I finally bit the bullet and had a crack. My rear bumper has been replaced before by Volvo. I noticed a neat trick they obviously use. When reinserting those 4 bolts, trap a couple of layers of paper kitchen towel between the nut and the 13mm socket - it makes it much less likely that the nuts/sleeves will drop off into the chassis as they're now wedged into he socket.

PS my attempt failed because I'd forgotten that I had two faulty sensors and not one, so I now have to drive around with half the rear of the car hanging off while I order another one.

I am surprised the sensors fail and not the wiring. The sensors are all sealed up in resin, whereas the wiring loom looks really vulnerable. Does anyone know if there was a recall on the loom, and what year? I seem to recall there was but was surprised to read on here people with 09 cars still having the looms fail in the wet.

Kind regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post: