View Single Post
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 17:01   #7
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owyn View Post
Dmf's are all about smoothing out the high frequency vibrations that are produced in modern engines, especially direct injection models. Racing single mass flywheels are lighter than Dmfs but won't be as smooth.

It's not really got anything to do with gear changes.
This is my understanding as well, although I can't claim expert knowledge.

The website of the company which makes the DMFs shows the reduction in vibrations from the time variation in torque even when the engine is running easily at constant speed. This must be especially true with high torque engines, especially diesels known for high torque at low engine speed. So cruising down the motorway the DMF will be smoothing out torsional oscillations.

So the DMF is experiencing wear continually not just during shifting, although the most damaging wear surely must be when high torque is demanded at lower engine speeds, as well when the torque is changing with time (such as during shifting the gears of a manual transmission). This is one reason I question the wisdom of chipping or remapping turbocharged petrol or diesel engines to increase power. This power increase is achieved by increasing torque at a given rpm and must therefore demand more from the DMF.