Thread: V70: Engine - Safety Recall Notice
View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 21:43   #53
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Hi Everyone,
I would respectfully suggest that Lancashire V70's car has had the decal/sticker but not the software upgrade. Either that or there is a different problem with his car.
The entire problem was caused by the adoption of Bio Diesel in the UK (and Europe) that mandated a 5-7% bio content of pump diesel. Bio deisel has a higher flash point than mineral diesel, and the regeneration cycle did not fully burn out the extra fuel injected ( to deliberably start a controlled fire in the equvlalent of a "cat") in the exhaust to burn out soot.
Thus the extra unburnt fuel got past the piston rings and into the sump, causing rising sump oil.
Some questions.
Have you had the car's VIN run by a Volvo main dealer to check the software level?
Have you checked that you don't have a duff injector?
The sump increases you report are much higher than the DPF problem did, the DPF regen ran approx every 300 miles in the correct road situations.
The 'iffy reports on the heater plug/relay may be telling a different story.

Believe me, I have pushed this all the way with Volvo, and the DOT and VOSA, and my MP.
The software patch did fix this, although in a very crude way and unbecoming of Volvo.
If you still have the problem, then check, check, and check again. Over sumping a diesel engine is not a funny matter, and can kill you and the car.

Last edited by Nick44; Mar 4th, 2013 at 21:49. Reason: can't spell deisel.
Nick44 is offline   Reply With Quote