View Single Post
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 22:32   #1
Galaxie390

Default '98 V70 D5252T engine vibrations

Hi Folks,

My '98 V70 TDi auto is a great car, esp when cruising on motorways etc. But, and it's a BIG but, when you're stopped in traffic, in gear with your foot on the brake the engine vibrations you can feel in the cabin are genuinely very disturbing, and bizarrely are causing my legs and back to ache! They literally shake the car.

I'd posted about this before up the V70 forum, and got some great feedback. As a result, I found the gearbox was resting on the small rubber 'bumpstop' on top of the chassis. So I replaced both front & rear engine mounts (the big round hydraulic doughnuts with volvo parts), which lifted the gearbox up off the mount by 1.5cm or so. I think it may have reduced the vibration a bit, but that could just be wishful thinking as it was murderous job! Is it possible I somehow got the front rear mounts mixed up? They look identical, but have diff volvo part numbers.

I fitted a new top steady bush (engine end of the arm), but this made little difference. Although, i did notice the bush seems forced towards the bulkhead rather than sitting in a 'relaxed' position. Is this a clue that the engine isn't sitting right?

Crank pulley damper and the pulley-end engine mount looks fine and hasn't bottomed out, and the under-strap looks fine.

While visiting family in the Midlands I got CP motors to fit a full timing & pump belt kit, with water pump and all the bits (inc a crank seal). They thought the car was fine, but I'm really struggling with the idea an 'executive' car like this was this coarse when new....or was it??!
The car starts & runs fine, but strangely the mpg dropped dramatically after the belt swap?? .

Any ideas what could be wrong to cause this intense vibration at idle? Once the revs rise beyond 1000-1200 it all smooths out, and at speed it's a wonderful car.

Sort of at the end of my tether with this one, I love driving the car but this vibration is literally starting to hurt.

Any ideas??

cheers,

Rich

PS; could a ropey injector cause somthing like this or would that throw up a fault code, but then I suppose you's feel it all through the revs.

Last edited by Galaxie390; Oct 17th, 2012 at 22:43.
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote