View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 12:43   #37
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I just looked up those two makes for recall notices and Continental have a voluntary recall for CONTITRACK small truck tires (LT 275/70/18) and it is only because they failed a quality inspection for tires made and sold in the USA.

The Michelin one is not for their own label tires, but for Goodrich and Uniroyal. It is a more serious compulsory recall due to belt separation of truck tires sold in the USA (235 and 245's).
I only buy good used tires that were made in Germany, like my Dunlop Winter SP's. The Michelins were on the car when I bought it, but I will probably buy good used Conti's when they wear out, which could be a few years, as they are tough tires.

The mid range budget tires from companies based overseas are still not good in wet braking distance terms and they are a classic case of you get what you pay for. I've not see any of the second level companies owned by the big boys produce any real rubbish in the bottom third of the performance tables, but the quality control checks might not be so good and obviously they use cheaper materials and manufacturing processes.

It's odd that there seem to be more problems with manufacturing SUV and truck tires than normal car tires, as previous recall notices were mostly for non car tires. It will be interesting to see if Nokian, who stunned the German auto press by winning in every summer car and SUV tire range in terms of combined wet & dry braking distance results this year can knock Continental off top spot for winter tires, although I only look at the ice and wet braking distances for winter tires, not snow because accidents in snow tend to be fender benders and the Dunlops are good for cold dry road surfaces, but top pick for ice or wet braking distances, even if they wear out quickly and make some noise.

[QUOTE=GP1;1220114]Michelin tyre's are designed for comfort & to cover the most mile's, and that's what they do, but they suffer in other aspect's because of this, in the USA they have recalled 843,000. Conti are also at present having some issue's.

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 4th, 2012 at 12:57.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote