View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 12:27   #29
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS40 View Post
I have only ever done that once, Grant and it was an error on the supplier's side.

I bought a pair of Yokohama 520 tyres for my Cavalier SRi (long time ago), but had 520R's fitted.

I thought there was something wrong when I was trying to dress them and they just turned dull again.

The grip was superb, even taking tight bends at over 90 mph (oops, I meant kph!), without even a screech, where I wouldn't have tried above 70 before.

Down side was that after 2000 miles the tyres were near bald.

One of my mates owns a garage and told me that they were racing compound and probably not even road legal.

Went back to the supplier, who generously offered me a replacement set of tyres at cost, even though he admitted it was their fault.

I'm not suggesting someone buys the most expensive road legal track tyre, merely try to buy the best 'standard' road tyre they can afford.

Premium brands will usually wear and perform better than the budget brands, that is what I was inferring.

Gary
I see where you are coming from Gary but same thing still applies. Take "Economy" tyres as an example - not cheap to buy. Most claim better MPG and long life which they do through a combination of tread pattern and compound. They tend to be a hard compound hence they have good wear, but this is due to them creating less friction with the road surface and consequently, less grip. I had them once on a company car and they were quite frankly scary on wet bends. Also, with performance tyres (not trackday), there are still different compounds sometimes available and as you point out, that can and does have a huge bearing on things!

I happily sacrifice longevity for short term grip but it's a personal thing....
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote