View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 09:28   #7
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FY51HPP View Post
ok, i have the non turbo car, and i have the magnetti marrelli etm. Is this a case of when its going to fail, not if? Is there anything i can do to prolong its inevitable short life?
In essence..YES....but it may have been replaced in the past.? (the general theory is that an original ETM will have a white sticker...and a replacement unit will have a yellow sticker..but still the same "questionable" design of course))
My V70 has the same ETM..and as far as I know, is original (white sticker)...but it's still ok at 102k miles.!!!
The only thing you can really do is to make sure that the butterfly flaps in the ETM are cleaned and clear of crud/carbon....simple job. Just take the air pipe of at the ETM end and you will see the butterflies. Just clean them, and the general area around them, particularly where they meet the body/throat of the ETM.
If it eventually goes belly up, then you can either get the original one refurbed or replace with a totally new unit. (the former being cheaper than the latter)

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RUTV70 For This Useful Post: