View Single Post
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 16:27   #12
woolfie1948

Thanks for that suggestion - I will give it a try over the weekend.
I am however now working on the old addage that if something was working and then stops working look at the last thing you touched before it stopped.
The car was running (but pinking badly) and I took the dizzy off and sent it away to be checked. The only other thing I can remember doing was putting new gaskets between the petrol pump and the block, and since then I have changed the pump, inline filter and flexible pipes, and tried without success to run on a gravity feed fuel supply.
That takes me back to the dizzy itself that had the advance/retard curve modified while away. I have substituted all the bits (points, condensor,rotor, cap) I can think of without success. If the timing is so far out as to cause this (set static of course) then I don't think it would start at all.
So now I am begining to suspect the dizzy itself, after-all the engine was running and car driving before it was modified, but I don't know if there is anything inside it that could give these symptoms?
I was going to try to substitute another dizzy but as luck would have it the one I bought on ebay got lost in the post and never arrived so I will have to wait now till after the holidays to contact the people who did the work.
An alternative is if anyone has a known working dizzy they are happy to sell then please make contact.
I am still open to any other suggestions of course.
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote