View Single Post
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 18:21   #1
topofthestack

Smile XC60 as a tow car

My wife and I are looking to replace the 1997 V70 20V Auto that we use to tow a caravan, partly because the V70 towbar weight limit (75kg) and kerb weight are so low. We're virtually having to strip the 'van and pile everything into the V70 to get down to the towbar limit and to ensure that the car kerb weight is increased. The low towbar limit also means that we have to be careful distributing weight around the 'van as that itself has an ex-factory noseweight of 80kg.

At present, the replacement choice is coming down to the JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE and the XC60. However, the Volvo has a tow ball weight limit of 90kg (as does the XC90) which only gives me 10kg over the caravan noseweight! The JEEP GC, and several other popular and comparative tow cars, have tow bars rated at between 110 and 150kg!

When I contacted Volvo UK and told them what their competitors were offering and asked whether they had any plans to up-rate the Volvo tow bar limits, they said that they didn't.

It seems such a pity that Volvo are loosing an opportunity to become a 'top rate' and very competitive tow cars by persisting with relatively low tow bar limits.

The final choice decision is rapidly approaching and over the past year I've spoken to several caravan owners who are towing with the XC60; all are very positive about the car, nevertheless, I'd appreciate some more personal reviews.
topofthestack is offline   Reply With Quote