Thread: Oil Consumption
View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 13:38   #4
peteS40

C'mon perussell don't be so pessimistic, you'll start getting people really worried!

It is normal if engines use some oil. Some will use none, some could use up to our more than the amounts I said. I don't know what a 'typical' use is for any volvo engines but some manufacturer's engines will use more than others. Given any individual engine, there are engineering tolerances so with the same car mine may use no oil, yours may use some but it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem.

Especially in the case of modern engines they will use more. Also this engine in question is a brand new one having only done 20k miles. To reduce oil usage I suggest a fully-synthetic oil which then ought not to break down so readily.

I think if you told the dealer you were worried your car was using 1/4 Litre per 1000 miles then EVERY dealer would say "that's normal, sir" and not just in order to fob you off! Ring volvo if you are worried and ask them directly.

perussell I appreciate your knowledge on oil if you work for an oil company, but I work for a mobile phone company yet it doesn't mean I understand EVERYTHING about mobile phones or how operators or customers may choose to use them and apply the mobile phone technology which I develop.