Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   EBC Brakes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=50773)

ovlov25 Jan 8th, 2008 14:26

EBC Brakes

Hi Guys

Anybody used the turbo grooved discs and red stuff pads?

I'm thinking it'd be a good upgrade on my 850 T5 for little cost, the standard brakes are pretty rubbish IMHO, ok for everyday but not so good at higher speeds.

I just want a straight swap over so i won't be considering an upgrade to larger discs unless i can do it without messing around with the callipers

Pedro Fandango Jan 8th, 2008 14:50

don't touch the discs as they crack in no time at all, i'd use the greenstuff pads again tho

dooby Jan 8th, 2008 16:15

Hi Duane,

interesting you should say that! As some may recall, I upgraded to Mintex 302mm discs on the front, and warped them with some fairly aggressive pads (best stopping ever until they warped though).

I switched the fronts to EBC Greenstuff pads, and their discs (not grooved or drilled, just vented). When I had a front wheel off at the weekend to look at some suspension bits I noticed tiny cracks running round the disc about half way into the friction surface. I.e. they form a big O shape but with maybe 240mm diameter.

Is this what you meant? I'm wondering what to try next to be honest, I keep hearing the Volvo discs are plenty solid but perhaps wrongly assumed they wouldn't appreciate uprated pads. Or should I look further down the 'performance' route e.g. Black Diamond or Tar-Ox?

Cheers, Pete

Pedro Fandango Jan 8th, 2008 16:18

yeh thats eaxactly whats happened to both my normal & turbo groove spec EBC discs

ovlov25 Jan 8th, 2008 16:42

So EBC pads Ok but give the discs a wide berth?

And they are supposed to be spot drilled only to avoid cracking!!

Ho hum, back to the drawing board, might check out Mintex.

irf Jan 8th, 2008 16:55

thats quite strange, my experience was completely the opposite, although it was on my 200sx.

had the ebc greenstuff and they were absolutely diabolical. if i got to say, 100, then braked hard, up to say60-70 they'd feel okay, but if i tried asking for a little bit more, nothing would happen, it would just decelerate at the same rate!! this was on the one application as well, not braking hard for multiple corners.

as soon as i changed to ferodo DS2500s the brakes went from shockingly bad to shockingly good. had the ebc turbo groove discs afterwards with the ds2500s. again very good, only slightly warped the disc after a trackday at brands hatch.

have heard bad things about the redstuff as well. the old ones were apparently terrible, but the newer compound is meant to be pretty good.

Engineer Jan 8th, 2008 17:14

Search is your friend guys, for us old un's DS2500 race pads with standard Volvo discs works a treat, 302's of course although I can think of some 4 and 6 pot conversions that would be better.

ovlov25 Jan 8th, 2008 17:18

Well, i'm actually using EBC turbo groove discs and greenstuff pads on my MX-5 but the Volvo is just so much heavier and faster and the standard setup seems prone to fade.

stusT5 Jan 8th, 2008 17:25

i use black diamond and belive me when i say they get battered (did till she went off the road for a new engine) i would suggest those all day long

ovlov25 Jan 8th, 2008 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by stusT5 (Post 347603)
i use black diamond and belive me when i say they get battered (did till she went off the road for a new engine) i would suggest those all day long

Discs and pads or pads only?

i've just emailed them directly, will be interesting to see what they come up with.