Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70: New-to-me 2.3 T5 GT convertible (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339734)

HTP May 1st, 2024 13:36

New-to-me 2.3 T5 GT convertible

5 Attachment(s)
Hello folks - proud new owner of a 2004 Volvo C70 2.3 T5 GT convertible.

Currently, I know very little about the car as I've purchased sight unseen from Copart as a running project to get me and a mate down to Le Mans in June - if anyone else is going, please say Ooh la la!

Very little background on her, but she can't be run in yet on 58k miles, 2 former keepers for 11 and 9 years, has the upgraded dolby surround stereo, and a vintage AA grille badge that sold her to me.

I've noticed in the pics that the roof wasn't completely down or up - I'm hoping this is time pressured staff and not sensor or mechanical faults but once I've taken possession and given her a ruddy good clean and paint touch up, I'll no doubt be on here posting more pics and searching for advice on a jobs list as long as the car.

Cheers,
Ben

El Padrino May 1st, 2024 13:55

Welcome to the forum HTP. Car looks great. Hope there's not too much to do get her running again. Looks like an honest car to me.

Good luck.

ITSv40 May 1st, 2024 14:41

Nice looking car. The roof is open due to a fault - once it gets to that position it would be a very lazy individual to not hold the button for another 10 second to complete the cycle.. Also, it is either a 2.4 low pressure turbo or a 2.3 high pressure. Only the 2.3 is designated a T5 with 240bhp. The 2.4 is 200bhp.

HTP May 1st, 2024 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2947903)
Also, it is either a 2.4 low pressure turbo or a 2.3 high pressure. Only the 2.3 is designated a T5 with 240bhp. The 2.4 is 200bhp.

Thanks bud - My bad typing, it is the 2.3 (2319 cc).

My thoughts on the roof as well. Holding a flame of hope in British laziness, but reading up on other possibilities as precaution.

HTP May 3rd, 2024 17:29

2 Attachment(s)
Post a solid wash, hoover and wipe down, happy to report that my worst expectation was allayed and the roof is working. Hoorah.

Scan with an OBD code reader pulled up a few faults but once cleared only the Alarm and CDM came back. Both attributed to a low battery.

The battery seems a lost cause so will get replaced, along with the 10year old tires. The brake pads that seem to be in competition with Mariah Carey for who can hit the highest note, will also get swapped out.

Biggest contender on my snag list currently is the SC-901 stereo. It requires the Code to unlock, but the one I have (and Volvo has since confirmed as correct for the VIN) doesn't work. I've recorded the Serial# and will pick up with them again next week.

Next up is finding a couple of replacement parts:
- Driver side door lock surrounds is missing
- The under glovebox panel has had the tabs broken off and has been fixed back by a combination of tech screws and silicon. (probably by the same person that butchered the stereo wires during a Parrot Bluetooth install... Grr..).
- The stereo is missing the 3 CD cartridge thingy. Not too bothered as I've ordered a Yatour(?) Bluetooth connector that plugs into the CD changer plug - but would be nice to have the option.

I'll keep an eye out for the above on here and the various auction/fleabay pages - but if you have parts, let me know.

ITSv40 May 3rd, 2024 17:39

Brilliant news regarding the roof :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Most of the other things can be sorted quite easily given a little effort and time.

Baffler May 3rd, 2024 22:19

Strut brace too...that adds another £2500 to the price tag 😝

Well wear with the new beast, HTP, and welcome to Volvo ownership!

Luxobarge May 3rd, 2024 22:41

Re. radio code, try removing the radio unit (REALLY easy) and have a look, you'd be surprised how many have the code written on them....!

HTP May 4th, 2024 20:20

3 Attachment(s)
Baffler - if only! That and the AA badge sold it for me 😂
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luxobarge (Post 2948269)
Re. radio code, try removing the radio unit (REALLY easy) and have a look, you'd be surprised how many have the code written on them....!

Yeah, I've had it out and looked everywhere. Can only imagine it's been replaced. Will take it to the dealers and hopefully they can do something with the serial number.

On another note today I decided to do some paint touch ups and chase down a couple of the advisories on the MOT.
Happily looks like most had been done, except for the 'minor oil leak'.

Got the car up on jack's and can see moisture drivers side near the belt. Bit of worry as this could be a big job, so whipped off the wheel and a treat ensued as a previous mechanic decided to rivet in a part of the wheel arch 🤬

Finally got it off, and hunting high and low can only assume the leak has come from the power steering reservoir. The level looks low (not registering on the dip stick lid thingy) and the hose clamps were very loose. Given them a good tighten and will top up the fluid tomorrow 🤞🤞

Aveton Gifford May 4th, 2024 20:41

Nice car in the best colour, Sky Blue.

All the wheelarch liners are held in with rivets, its because the alarm module lives behind the one on the drivers side.

The steering fluid reservoirs swell with age on these cars as well, then they leak around the seam, so fluid around the area you have it is normal, a new reservoir and a clean and all should be good.

When topping up the reservoir, make sure you use the correct fluid, yours could (should!) be green Volvo fluid, but if anything has been changed on the steering system in the past, it may be red ATF. Just don't mix the two, or it will knacker the rack!!