Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 General : Front left rattling (replaced parts already) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=336203)

RPhoboS Nov 5th, 2023 15:42

Front left rattling (replaced parts already)

(C30 D5 2006)
Hey all, I'm just trying to work out what this potentially could be, and I think I may try and capture a little video this week for a demo of it.

I'm getting a rattle from the front left wheel when I go over rough road/small potholes. This can happen almost any speed, it really does sound like something loose, like the top mounts or anti-roll bar.
I replaced a few parts earlier in the year just due to age and MOT advisories (lower arms/drop links/shocks/springs).
Last week I went around both front sides to nip up any potential loose nuts, nothing was loose but I made sure all was torqed to spec.

Today I thought perhaps it might be the roll bar bushings, so I got the pry bar onto it without the front wheels and the play seemed acceptable to me. I couldn't see a gap or anything obvious on the bushing at least on the visible side.
I'm at a bit of a loss now, I know that once this thing has all of that weight on it, any tiny movement is magnified but it just didn't seem like it was the bushings.

Cheers for any help !
:speechless-smiley-5

Moomoo Nov 5th, 2023 16:03

A loose brake pad drove me nuts on my V70 for months!🤯

Simmy Nov 5th, 2023 16:30

check for broken springs it a common fault.

PNM Nov 5th, 2023 17:36

2 Attachment(s)
I had a rattle that seemed impossible to track down. Turned out the brake pad friction material had separated from the backing plate.

RPhoboS Nov 6th, 2023 12:37

Hey, ah I guess it's super simple to check the brake pads, granted they're probably around 1 year or so old (replaced pads/discs).

When I was checking/tightening various bolts the other day I did check the springs but as mentioned, they're new as of June this year.

Apologies for the vid but I was driving across some rough road on the left side this morning, and thought I'd grab a clip. Not sure it helps much but hey ho.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

RPhoboS Nov 6th, 2023 15:29

Right o, another quick update.
I just jacked the front up to do a quick 9-3 o-clock/horizontal wheel play check (with the steering locked).
Right side, seemed good, left side I could feel a little play.
So now I'm thinking it's a tie/track rod, just no idea if it's inner or outer.

And come to think of it, I did notice a slight vibration in the steering around 70mph.

RPhoboS Nov 10th, 2023 19:33

This afternoon I replaced the front left outer tie rod, it was torn and definitely in need of replacing but unfortunately, still rattling on the front left (I'm specifically driving over bumps on the left to make sure it's that side only).
The inner tie rod was good at least.
I've noticed that the passenger side boot on the driveshaft is leaking, is that the longer one or short ?
Is that thing possible to rattle?:confused_smile:

BBA Nov 11th, 2023 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPhoboS (Post 2922367)
This afternoon I replaced the front left outer tie rod, it was torn and definitely in need of replacing but unfortunately, still rattling on the front left (I'm specifically driving over bumps on the left to make sure it's that side only).
The inner tie rod was good at least.
I've noticed that the passenger side boot on the driveshaft is leaking, is that the longer one or short ?
Is that thing possible to rattle?:confused_smile:

No it make just mess of grease . Check anti-roll bar bushes ,you can try put couple round of insulation tape to see if it helps I was have same problem on merc till not done as above .

RPhoboS Nov 13th, 2023 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBA (Post 2922435)
No it make just mess of grease . Check anti-roll bar bushes ,you can try put couple round of insulation tape to see if it helps I was have same problem on merc till not done as above .

Cheers, yeah I did check them as mentioned on the first post but they didn't seem perished.
However, I can easily check by disconnecting the ARB and drive it down the road for a few mins, that'll at least tell me if it's the ARB bushings or not.

I have noticed that it makes the noise when the suspension is rebounding, not compressing.
I'll report my findings if I give it a go tomorrow :teeth_smile:

RPhoboS Nov 24th, 2023 15:15

Right, definitely not the anti roll bar, I just removed the drop links and drove down the same road...same awful noise.
I'm fairly certain it's the shock, especially as I can feel it. I probably didn't get the orientation of the top mount correct or something broke within the shock itself.
As always, I'll report back (how annoying are those threads that don't!).