Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2011 C70 T5 Battery drain issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=334887)

atxc70 Aug 28th, 2023 22:56

2011 C70 T5 Battery drain issue

I recently read this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249984 and a couple others that seem to have the same issue.
My parents have a 2011 C70 T5 that comes up with a dead battery after it sits a few days. This has been an issue since they bought the car used. They have taken it to the dealer and at least one other place with no results. They say there is no load on the battery. Clearly that isn't true.
I see that there is a service bulletin for the CRM indicating a software update. I am hoping this is the issue and I can get this fixed for my mom because she loves the car otherwise. What I am not sure of is if their particular model is one of the ones affected and covered by the service bulletin. Before I call and try to get the dealership to look up and acknowledge the service bulletin I was hoping to confirm that it is applicable to my mom's particular model. I was hoping maybe Clan could chime in here if he has an answer.
I would have done a DM, but just created my account and couldn't do so until I reach 30 posts. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

eagle58 Aug 28th, 2023 23:24

I bought a brand new battery for my C70 D5 and after a two week holiday, I came back to find it dead even though it was fully charged before I left.

I worked it out that having the alarm engaged drains power from the battery and over two weeks it had drained it completely.

If your battery is a few years old maybe it can't hold as much charge and it drains it quicker.

I just leave the alarm off if I'm not using the car and rely on the keyless entry for security.

HTH.

atxc70 Aug 28th, 2023 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle58 (Post 2911799)
I bought a brand new battery for my C70 D5 and after a two week holiday, I came back to find it dead even though it was fully charged before I left.

I worked it out that having the alarm engaged drains power from the battery and over two weeks it had drained it completely.

If your battery is a few years old maybe it can't hold as much charge and it drains it quicker.

I just leave the alarm off if I'm not using the car and rely on the keyless entry for security.

HTH.

They have been through multiple batteries at this point. Usually 3-4 days of no driving and it is sure to be dead. Sometimes less.

eagle58 Aug 29th, 2023 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by atxc70 (Post 2911803)
They have been through multiple batteries at this point. Usually 3-4 days of no driving and it is sure to be dead. Sometimes less.

Get an auto-electrician.

atxc70 Aug 29th, 2023 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle58 (Post 2911805)
Get an auto-electrician.

To be clear I'm not asking what the problem is. I am only asking if the technical service bulletin regarding the issue with the CRM draining the battery would cover this particular year and model.

Clan Aug 29th, 2023 10:54

Quote:

HTH.

The alarm wont drain the battery if it is a volvo factory one. 50 ma is the max current allowed once the car has shut down.

Clan Aug 29th, 2023 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by atxc70 (Post 2911795)
I recently read this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249984 and a couple others that seem to have the same issue.
My parents have a 2011 C70 T5 that comes up with a dead battery after it sits a few days. This has been an issue since they bought the car used. They have taken it to the dealer and at least one other place with no results. They say there is no load on the battery. Clearly that isn't true.
I see that there is a service bulletin for the CRM indicating a software update. I am hoping this is the issue and I can get this fixed for my mom because she loves the car otherwise. What I am not sure of is if their particular model is one of the ones affected and covered by the service bulletin. Before I call and try to get the dealership to look up and acknowledge the service bulletin I was hoping to confirm that it is applicable to my mom's particular model. I was hoping maybe Clan could chime in here if he has an answer.
I would have done a DM, but just created my account and couldn't do so until I reach 30 posts. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

I don't remember a bulletin on this problem, it will be incorporated in the yearly free software update with the service anyway now . so what was the current drain once the car has shut down ? ( about 10 mins ) You need a multimeter in series with the battery lead . anything more than 50 ma is on the high side.

Simmy Aug 29th, 2023 12:58

Quote:

HTH.

check and see if your yellow roof lift button in the boot works if it dosent you have a broken wire in the harness i had the same problem it was a 1 v drain its easy to fix qnce you identify this fault.:regular_smile:

atxc70 Aug 30th, 2023 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2911838)
I don't remember a bulletin on this problem, it will be incorporated in the yearly free software update with the service anyway now . so what was the current drain once the car has shut down ? ( about 10 mins ) You need a multimeter in series with the battery lead . anything more than 50 ma is on the high side.

I haven't gotten around to connecting a multimeter yet. I can't find mine at the moment, but I will do it as soon as I find it.

I was hoping it was the Convertible Roof Module that was mentioned in the thread I linked and the one linked in it. I can't say for sure if they have gotten any kind of yearly update. I will have to call the dealership for them and ask them about it.

I did see the info about using the multimeter and pulling fuses so I will have to try that if it's not the CRM software that's the culprit.

Simmy Aug 30th, 2023 15:09

dont just go pulling fuses randomly as this can cause issues and flag up multiple fault codes. you need a comprehensive diagnostic tool dice. snapon. launch. acarsoft. or any good quality diagnostic tool. only last week i had a car in who had disconnected the battery with the ignition on . resulting in 36 dtcs proceed carefully.check the boot for any water ingress any wetness in this area can cause problems,