Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Comfortable alternative to XC90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=334865)

TomW Aug 27th, 2023 15:57

Comfortable alternative to XC90

We run two XC90s, one petrol Lpg and other diesel year 2006.
We're looking to change get rid of the thirsty diesel one for something similar but must be an economical SUV sort to give a high driving position and the best comfortable ride for a bad back. Any suggestions makes and models. Budget up to £5000.

Lancee Aug 27th, 2023 17:43

I suspect it will cost you some additional money in some way to change your vehicle. Why not consider keeping the Devil you know and use the potential "changeover" cost to offset your current fuel costs ?

Unless there is another reason other than fuel consumption for wanting to change ?

I perceive you already have a fundamentally reliable car, well known to you, with an already higher seating position and renowned for comfort seating ?

Just some thought/s.

Phil Croxley Aug 27th, 2023 18:57

I can't help thinking that with a budget of 5k you'll have to dig deeper when you discover why it was 5k. I'd go with the above advice and keep what you know, it may just work out financially better in the end.

TomW Aug 27th, 2023 19:29

Currently doing 14000 a year at 32 to the gallon.
I've been browsing Autotrader and a C4 Grand Picasso diesel could fit the bill and might do 45mpg. I wonder how the driving position and comfort compare.
I suspect you're right though and I could be buying trouble.

Lancee Aug 28th, 2023 17:44

If applicable a trade in from an auto to a manual (XC90) may help with better mpg ?

However the prior outlined still applies.

At the risk of causing offence to someone, a Citroen ? Oh dear !

Moomoo Aug 28th, 2023 17:55

Further risk of offence: V70 , 1.6 D , mine was fine with that annual mileage! Superb mpg!🧐👍

Tannaton Aug 30th, 2023 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW (Post 2911635)
Currently doing 14000 a year at 32 to the gallon.
I've been browsing Autotrader and a C4 Grand Picasso diesel could fit the bill and might do 45mpg. I wonder how the driving position and comfort compare.
I suspect you're right though and I could be buying trouble.

I don't think I can ever recall an XC90 owner on hear swapping it for a sh*troen?

Parknest Sep 8th, 2023 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2911957)
I don't think I can ever recall an XC90 owner on hear swapping it for a sh*troen?

I went the other way. My previous daily driver was a 2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso with the bulletproof 2.0HDi engine and the 6-speed EGS transmission. It was damaged in a collision and deemed by the insurance as uneconomical to repair. I decided that I wanted a 7-seater SUV so I went for the XC90.