Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Leaking windscreen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=32220)

146ken Feb 12th, 2007 15:41

Leaking windscreen

I know this is a perennial problem, but has any one got a good answer for it.
My recently acquired 240GLT has been dry as a bone up until last friday. Driving in a downpour I noticed a tiny drop of water forming at the edge of the screen, on drivers side, just above were the plastic clip is sited. Today this has become worse and water is now coming in quick enough to wet the carpets below. I've been through the carpets out and dry them routine with my other 240 so really could do with sorting this one out before it gets to that stage.
I've looked round the exterior trim and can see no corrosion or damage to rubber trim. It is definitely coming in round the edge of the glass and not from lost grommet, rusthole or round the wiper motors. Is it possible to repair windscreen sealant or is this a screen out and reseal job? :hissyfit:

tuning_redblock Feb 12th, 2007 17:49

Hello Ken, I manages to seal my windscreen by running sealant around the leading and inner edges of the screen, and the inside wherever I could get at it, it seemed to work for me, or if you insurance covers your screen, or maybe a "big stone chip" may be called for?

Alec Dawe Feb 12th, 2007 18:31

Another good product to try for obscure windscreen leaks is 'Creeping Crack'
Its mostly used by the yachting fraternity, for sealing weeps in ungetattable places.
It has the capillary creeping action of peretrating oil, like WD 40, but then sets and seals. Good for very small leaks, especially behind trims etc.

Velorum Feb 12th, 2007 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Dawe (Post 205145)
Another good product to try for obscure windscreen leaks is 'Creeping Crack'
Its mostly used by the yachting fraternity, for sealing weeps in ungetattable places.
It has the capillary creeping action of peretrating oil, like WD 40, but then sets and seals. Good for very small leaks, especially behind trims etc.

I used this stuff a few years ago on some boat roof fittings and it worked really well.

julie Feb 12th, 2007 18:45

i would wait for a dry day then take off the ruber/plastic trim it just clips on , then you will have clear access to the screen and should be able to seeany gaps in the sealer the propper stuff in non setting and can be manipulated into place hope this helps :Dancing_sorry:

Clifford Pope Feb 13th, 2007 08:27

You can attack it from either/both sides. Remove the trim on the inside and try and see where the water is getting in. I managed to stop mine by working in some more squidgy black gutter sealant, pressing it down with the blunt end of a pencil.
On the outside I have used ordinary household varnish, diluted a little to make it runnier. Slop it all over the outside trim etc, then wipe off.

Velorum Feb 25th, 2007 13:14

I started another thread a week or so ago about the dreaded wet carpet problem - having found that water was coming in through the sunroof I thought that the problems was solved when I sorted out the seal.

Although I thought that I had checked the windscreen - I hadnt been thorough enough. Upon finding the carpet wet this morning after last nights rain I investigated further and am now certain that its a windscreen leak as outlined in this thread. The surround is warped in a few places leaving gaps that water can get past. Looks like that particular side of the surround will need lifting and some mastic injected underneath. In the meantime Ive covered the offending areas with waterproof tape.

Keeps me out of mischief (and away from ebay!) I suppose...........:stormy:

Velorum Feb 25th, 2007 13:25

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry - I forgot to attach some photos (thought that they might jazz up the post a bit!)

JOHN ROBERTS Feb 25th, 2007 13:35

hi

hi guys sorry to jump in but as i will be buying a 240 soon is this a common prob with windscreen also is the heater matrix a prob as will or just it just the fan cheers john

Velorum Feb 25th, 2007 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN ROBERTS (Post 210451)
hi guys sorry to jump in but as i will be buying a 240 soon is this a common prob with windscreen also is the heater matrix a prob as will or just it just the fan cheers john

My guess is that its fairly common with a lot of cars that of this age. Straightforward to fix in the general scheme of things though.

I guess you are refering to the heater fan problem? There is a fairly lengthy thread on this with some great photos:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=32797