Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine Service Required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317094)

smk70 May 24th, 2021 12:19

Engine Service Required

My 2003 V70 D5 Euro 3 has just gone over 323,000. I have been chasing down an intermittent "Engine service required" Message which appears without a Amber warning triangle but sometimes it will coincide with a reduced turbo boost.

The turbo governor valve was replaced last year and I cleaned and checked the Clutch position sensor. The vacuum system is good the Turbo actuator is moving correctly. I have just replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the injectors.

I was watching Simons video on You tube about cleaning the EGR actuator and I was wondering if a fault on this would give this message?

Georgeandkira May 24th, 2021 13:18

You need your codes read competently. Anyone is guessing without them.

smk70 May 24th, 2021 17:12

The code that comes up when read is ECM6085 but I have worked through the reasons for this and they all appear to be satisfactory.

cheshired5 May 24th, 2021 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by smk70 (Post 2739844)
video on You tube about cleaning the EGR actuator and I was wondering if a fault on this would give this message?

Yes possibly. The correct EGR live data to look for is also explained in the video.

smk70 May 24th, 2021 23:02

Thanks I will try cleaning the EGR assembly. I have never removed it before. I have cleaned the intake elbow a couple of years ago which was quite coked up.

The item that made the most difference to the running was the Turbo governor solenoid. Although it appeared to be clean and working correctly a new one made it run and accelerate like it did when I first got it.

T5R92011 May 25th, 2021 17:15

For reference here is a view of the EGR mixer as it runs down the side of the engine (High pressue fuel pump has been removed)

Note the coolant lines underneath and ontop of the EGR mixer, as well as the bolt which sits just under the missing fuel pump.

The actual valve is highlighted in the biggest red square with connector plug visible. It's secured to the mixer with torx screws.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/71b55725...c4c478c59e.jpg

smk70 May 25th, 2021 18:06

It looks like it will be a messy job. I will have to stock up on rubber gloves and Carb Cleaner.

T5R92011 May 25th, 2021 22:59

Yup, get stuck in.

The D5 I find quite satisfying to work on as there arent many irritating ancillaries to move out of the way for many of the jobs. Unlike a lot of other engines where everything is just shoehorned in with no thought for disassembly.

I was changing a fuel filter on a Nissan 2.2 DCI X-trail the other day and it was a right pain in the backside. Housing bolted right at the back of the engine bay, underneath scuttle panel.

D5 is dream to work on compared that 2.2 DCI engine.

smk70 May 26th, 2021 10:32

Having spent most of my life working on Japanese vehicles. I have found the D5 a easy engine to work on. It is quite simple and most of the parts are easy to get at and work on on my drive. Even changing the clutch and flywheel was relatively easy just time consuming. The only special tools I have used is an engine crane and a gearbox support.
This has been the first Volvo I have owned and it by far the best car. I think I was lucky getting the Euro 3 version of the V70. I think the reliability and fuel economy went down hill after.

Kev0607 May 26th, 2021 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by smk70 (Post 2740271)
Having spent most of my life working on Japanese vehicles. I have found the D5 a easy engine to work on. It is quite simple and most of the parts are easy to get at and work on on my drive. Even changing the clutch and flywheel was relatively easy just time consuming. The only special tools I have used is an engine crane and a gearbox support.
This has been the first Volvo I have owned and it by far the best car. I think I was lucky getting the Euro 3 version of the V70. I think the reliability and fuel economy went down hill after.

Fuel economy took a hit, more so on the euro 4. Newer euro 5’s have improved that.

As for reliability, I disagree. There’s plenty of P3 Volvo’s with mammoth miles. They aren’t as bad as people claim.