Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Steering rack (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304178)

griston64 Mar 3rd, 2020 08:55

Steering rack

I've got a slight weep from somewhere on my steering rack. I'm in the process of doing a complete front end suspension refurb so thought I might as well change that while I'm at it.

There are a couple of used ones on Ebay but I could then end up with the same problem in a few months time.

There are also a few on Ebay who sell recon ones with an exchange for the old unit. Has anybody dealt with any of these companies or have a recommendation of a reliable place for a good recon rack ??

Cheers, Mark

flaggy Mar 3rd, 2020 09:55

I have had three racks off Lion Automotive. www.lionautomotive.co.uk . Found them to be ok. They will refurb you're own if you send it.

griston64 Mar 3rd, 2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggy (Post 2606115)
I have had three racks off Lion Automotive. www.lionautomotive.co.uk . Found them to be ok. They will refurb you're own if you send it.

Thanks for that. Called them and had a chat with the guy who was very helpful:teeth_smile:

Good price and 90 days to return faulty rack:teeth_smile:

Cheers Mark

Laird Scooby Mar 3rd, 2020 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggy (Post 2606115)

At the risk of sounding facetious, why have you needed 3 racks? Did they fail in short order? :thinking:

Mark - what sort of £££ are they quoting for reconditioning the rack? I know of someone with a 760 that is not just weeping but crying its heart out by comparison, i was going to point him in your direction for a rack but obviously if you need one, you don't have a spare! :nah:

griston64 Mar 3rd, 2020 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2606167)
At the risk of sounding facetious, why have you needed 3 racks? Did they fail in short order? :thinking:

Mark - what sort of £££ are they quoting for reconditioning the rack? I know of someone with a 760 that is not just weeping but crying its heart out by comparison, i was going to point him in your direction for a rack but obviously if you need one, you don't have a spare! :nah:

Hi Dave

I sold my good breaker one in November ( sods law and all that ) and mine then started leaking slightly at the turn of the year

They are £209.00 for a recon rack and you get £100 refunded when they collect the old one

Seems very reasonable to me

There are a couple on Ebay at the moment but you are effectively buying another 20 year old + rack

Laird Scooby Mar 3rd, 2020 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2606197)
Hi Dave

I sold my good breaker one in November ( sods law and all that ) and mine then started leaking slightly at the turn of the year

They are £209.00 for a recon rack and you get £100 refunded when they collect the old one

Seems very reasonable to me

There are a couple on Ebay at the moment but you are effectively buying another 20 year old + rack

The big problem with a 20+ y/o rack is after it's been sitting, the seals can dry out and become brittle so once you start using it, POP!!!!!

That doesn't sound too bad, £109 (after the refund for the core unit) for an essentially new rack. :thumbs_up:

flaggy Mar 3rd, 2020 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2606167)

Three different cars over a period of time, hobby not business.

griston64 Mar 3rd, 2020 16:26

I've ordered one so should be here this week :teeth_smile:

Laird Scooby Mar 3rd, 2020 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggy (Post 2606265)
Three different cars over a period of time, hobby not business.

Thanks, for some odd reason i had it in my head they were all on the same car.

martin calva Mar 4th, 2020 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2606084)
(...)
There are also a few on Ebay who sell recon ones with an exchange for the old unit. Has anybody dealt with any of these companies or have a recommendation of a reliable place for a good recon rack ??

Cheers, Mark

About six years ago I bought a reconditioned rack for my 940 from a firm in California via Ebay. The dreaded Ebay "Global Shipping Program" had them delivered by a horrible delivery company here in France. One of their tricks is to say that your address is incomplete - you must phone them. So you phone them on a 1€ per minute number which plays music at you for as long as you continue to hold and which never ever answers, The rack never got delivered to me and, eventually, I got a full ebay refund.

I phoned the firm in California and they said they'd send a rack directly, which was delivered a few days later.

That was six years and about 80,000km ago. The rack has worked perfectly since being fitted.