Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Additional Battery Pack for T8?s (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285626)

MaDProFF Aug 24th, 2018 09:09

Additional Battery Pack for T8?s

I wonder if a Company or Volvo could build an additional removable battery pack that would sit in the boot to add range?

There is an area of boot that does not get used for the most part, triangular section across the back right up against the seat, even if it weighed like 60 kg I bet it could add 30% range and be on a plug and socket.

Anyone think it is feasible, and people would buy one.

It would be great for me personally if my car had another 10 mile range.
It would also be great if it had a little more power as well, in moving traffic out of town, it just struggles to keep up with accelerating traffic sometimes, and a gap forms, which people far too often want to squeeze into :(

nu11eaf Aug 24th, 2018 09:25

I take it you are refering to driving in pure electric mode when accelerating, 80HP pulling over 3000kg is never going to be sporty. Adding more oomph would just shorten the battery miles. Which I think you are wanting more of, its a compromise.

Clan Aug 24th, 2018 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2440800)
I take it you are refering to driving in pure electric mode when accelerating, 80HP pulling over 3000kg is never going to be sporty. Adding more oomph would just shorten the battery miles. Which I think you are wanting more of, its a compromise.

a bit out with the weight there its "only" 2200 kg and the motor is almost 90 hp .
The poster above should realise it is not an electric vehicle , there is always the petrol engine instantly available to give the power he needs...

Lexman8 Aug 24th, 2018 09:56

There'd probably be a safety issue as these batteries have to be protected (as far as reasonably possible) against severe impact in a crash otherwise they tend to catch fire quite readily in a spectacular way.

nu11eaf Aug 24th, 2018 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2440805)
a bit out with the weight there its "only" 2200 kg and the motor is almost 90 hp .
The poster above should realise it is not an electric vehicle , there is always the petrol engine instantly available to give the power he needs...

Sorry, I googled XC90 T8 weight to get that figure and read it had 80hp electric and 320hp petrol, is it an XC90 or a XC60.

Edit, my weight it the gross vehicle weight, but my comment is still valid re weight/HP and a compromise re speed and range on battery power,

MaDProFF Aug 24th, 2018 10:26

I do understand some of your comments:-

The power, is only needed every now and again, and once accelerated you are then not using any more power than normal, so we are talking seconds.

Of course they would be fitted in a way as to be secured, and sealed in a case etc.

I understand you could say I should have a Electric Vehicle, but I like my T8, but I would like it a little more to save the planet for a little longer range :) (Sarcasm). There are few cars around atm that suits my wants, T8 is closest atm.

I also understand there is an engine, which makes me cringe when it fires up just for a few seconds or a minute etc if first time once in a 6 mile journey :(

I would love to see the stats on wear on a T8 engine, stop start, cold full load when needed quick, I would like to know a lot more about it, like is the engine heated in any way during a journey to help wear etc. for a quick one off use every now and again.
and so on.

dchbrown Aug 24th, 2018 22:05

Im not sure if the battery pack in T8 is like the Telsa but that is also cooled to keep it within the correct temperature range for operation, so any additional battery would likely need similar treatment to ensure its longevity and safety.

I love the idea but i think it would likely work out too expensive to be a commercial success - a great garage project for someone though!

MaDProFF Aug 24th, 2018 22:52

hmm Cooling etc. something I over looked, but then the inside temp is generally pretty cool unless left outside in the sun etc.

Quacker Aug 24th, 2018 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2440819)
There'd probably be a safety issue as these batteries have to be protected (as far as reasonably possible) against severe impact in a crash otherwise they tend to catch fire quite readily in a spectacular way.

Between the batteries and the petrol, people are sitting on a potential conflagration. Which is another reason why I'll stick to diesel which is nowhere near as likely to ignite. Leak, yes. Ignite, not very likely.

Quacker Aug 25th, 2018 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchbrown (Post 2441091)
Im not sure if the battery pack in T8 is like the Telsa but that is also cooled to keep it within the correct temperature range for operation, so any additional battery would likely need similar treatment to ensure its longevity and safety.

I love the idea but i think it would likely work out too expensive to be a commercial success - a great garage project for someone though!

The latest Nissan Leaf gets away with little if any cooling. It is a point that a lot of people are critical of though as it limits the rapid charging potential