Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C70 D4(177) improve fuel eco-Remap and Alloy wheels downsize (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253799)

moneysh Jul 26th, 2016 16:43

C70 D4(177) improve fuel eco-Remap and Alloy wheels downsize

Hello everyone,
This is my first post in this forum, recently 'upgraded' to a 61 Reg C70 D4 from a back-breaking - firm and bouncy '12 Reg Merc C220. I'm excited about my new Volvo in all aspects especially the seats , suspension, power but a tad disappointed with Fuel consumption. Just to give a background, drove a 320I SE(Comfort suspension) for 4 years before I signed up for C220 only to get rid of it in less than a year!! So the C70 is reminding me of good old days with the Beamer but also unfortunately heavier on the wallet like my good old petrol 3 series.
Is it possible to remap my D4 177 bhp Geartronic into a more Eco(Fuel efficient) friendly mode or remapping is all about extra power?. I find the power /response on my C70 quite good however I'm struggling to breach the 40 mpg mark even on 70% motorway 30% B road drives(consistently hit 57 + on my C220 Blue Efficiency Auto on the same route )
Also I was considering to downgrade from my 18" Alloys to 16" to make the ride comfier(30% of my drive is on poorly maintained B-Roads) and extract any additional fuel economy. Kindly share your experiences even if it were with S40/V50/C30 if the above changes added any value.
Should I go for the OEM supplied 16" Castula Alloy Wheels (Silver Stone) for alloy wheels or are there any specific aftermarket one that someone would like to recommend?
Any experiences on the Insurance implications of remap and alloy wheel changes are welcome too.

Proghound Jul 27th, 2016 15:58

Going from what I've read on here, I'm not sure if you can get a D4 remapped, wasn't that the first of the ECU's that Volvo locked? Hopefully someone will be able to confirm. If so, that would restrict you to Volvo's own PoleStar map, which is expensive (~£800) and conservative at about +15hp. They market it as optimizing efficiency - guess that means you've got the choice to use the extra power or the economy. I hear that insurers have been known not to mind a remap of < 10% extra power, but it should be declared in any case. You'd have to check with yours.

Re the alloys, 17" are widely regarded to ride noticeably better than 18", but still look good. With the D4 you'll have the larger front brake discs, 17" will be fine but before you go for 16" it would be worth checking if they will fit over the calipers. Again I think I've read on here that the Castulas will be OK, but while IMHO aftermarket would look much better, that's when you'd need to check for clearance. Can't see the insurance having any issue if you downgrade your wheels within the Volvo range, but you might need to tell them about aftermarket.

Your 6-speed Geartronic on the D4 is a newer version of the 5-speed AW box they used with the D5. That certainly put a big dent in the economy compared to a manual, where 45MPG is easy. Even on the manual though, I notice quite a large drop in economy as soon as you get to 70mph (2K RPM). At 65, that's just over 1850 and it'll get 45-50 all day long. I would be interested to know what the gearing is like on the D4 auto, as it's one thing I would consider as a replacement for mine, should it get unecomic to maintain.

domhart10 Jul 27th, 2016 17:10

Yeh I have changed down from 18 Volvo Midirs to 17 MSW as much lighter and a lot comfier ... defenitly recommend the changing down part.

My cars not very economical so I dont have anything else to add sorry ... maybe just pump your tires up a lot and drive slower :thumbs_up:

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Jul 27th, 2016 21:39

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all for either modification then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Welton Jul 28th, 2016 07:57

Merc C220 has a poor ride?

That's the car I've shortlisted for my S40 replacement at some point.

Re: Tyres have a look in the owners handbook or the tyre pressure table (back of the fuel flap?) and see what tyre sizes are listed there. These are the volvo approved sizes so you won't have any insurance issues sticking with those.

moneysh Jul 28th, 2016 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proghound (Post 2146278)
Going from what I've read on here, I'm not sure if you can get a D4 remapped, wasn't that the first of the ECU's that Volvo locked? Hopefully someone will be able to confirm. If so, that would restrict you to Volvo's own PoleStar map, which is expensive (~£800) and conservative at about +15hp. They market it as optimizing efficiency - guess that means you've got the choice to use the extra power or the economy. I hear that insurers have been known not to mind a remap of < 10% extra power, but it should be declared in any case. You'd have to check with yours.

Re the alloys, 17" are widely regarded to ride noticeably better than 18", but still look good. With the D4 you'll have the larger front brake discs, 17" will be fine but before you go for 16" it would be worth checking if they will fit over the calipers. Again I think I've read on here that the Castulas will be OK, but while IMHO aftermarket would look much better, that's when you'd need to check for clearance. Can't see the insurance having any issue if you downgrade your wheels within the Volvo range, but you might need to tell them about aftermarket.

Your 6-speed Geartronic on the D4 is a newer version of the 5-speed AW box they used with the D5. That certainly put a big dent in the economy compared to a manual, where 45MPG is easy. Even on the manual though, I notice quite a large drop in economy as soon as you get to 70mph (2K RPM). At 65, that's just over 1850 and it'll get 45-50 all day long. I would be interested to know what the gearing is like on the D4 auto, as it's one thing I would consider as a replacement for mine, should it get unecomic to maintain.

Thanks a ton Proghound. You've pretty much clarified everything for me. Remap isn't worth if > £400 personally.

This site says 16" - 7.5j (instead of the regular 7j) is recommended for winter !!
http://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/c70/2011/
The castulas are £208 each!! Hence exploring aftermarket that sell for £400 a set. As you've said there are some really cool looking ones..Will drive into an Alloywheel place over the weekend and check the calipers' clearance.

Coming from C220 7 speed Auto gearbox...the D4 Geartronic is comparable(to the Sport mode rather than Eco) if not better..I even had one of my mate, who drives a 530d Auto, complement the seamless gear shifts in my D4.As you've rightly said, driving in the A roads < 70 I could hit 41.8, while the motorway alternative @ Cruise set at 80 mph pulls it down to 39!!This is where I miss my C220 - its nominal operating speed seems to 80 mph...only on stretches where I would exceed 85(shh...German Autobahns)..i could see the drop in economy!!

I generally under inflate the tyres by 5% to extract a softer ride..so that option to get a better economy is ruled out too!!

moneysh Jul 28th, 2016 16:15

I can vouch for the fact that an 18" Volvo C70 ride is far far comfier than a 16" C220(W204) Executive - Blue efficiency. My 4 year old son and my wife could instantly remark that our good days are back- 2006 BMW (E90) SE !!
Having said that, the C220 was fine with five people and atleast 10% underinflation...it might be down to the fact that with Blue..eco thingy..the car has lost significant weight in all areas including wind shield, alloys, boot lid, engine..what not..but somehow the engineers in MB forgot to tune the suspension! The 2008-12 Elegance is much better choice...forget the > 2012 especially the Sport ones..

Proghound Jul 29th, 2016 01:17

Weight is one thing the C70 is not short of! Hence also part of the reason for the poorer economy, there's just so much of it to accelerate & drag up hills the whole time. You're looking at about the 1¾ tonne mark for a well-specced D4 auto. That's just the way it goes with a heavy roof & mechanism, floorpan strengthening to cope when it's not there, on top of all the safety structures and a big engine. With the weight it was never going to be the world's best handling car, so I guess they tuned the suspension for comfort instead. No complaints from me on that score either.

To put my winter tyres on, I got an inexpensive second-hand 17" set from another C70, that I don't have to worry about keeping nice. Since then, winter's been a bit of a muchness in the South-East, in fact the only time my car ever saw snow it was on summer tyres shortly after I got it! I use 215x50 winters instead of 235x45, the size is listed in the owner's handbook so it's OK, the tyres are cheaper and within 0.5% of the same rolling circumference. Being an unusually hard compound (Nokian WR A3), they are definitely more economical than my summers. There's 2-3 MPG in it for me, even with the slower warm-up and heavier traffic conditions in the winter.

niggly Aug 3rd, 2016 00:50

Viezu do an economy re-map for the D4. They reckon it improves economy by 15%. Have a look http://lookup.viezu.com/. Gives you a bit more power and torque.

I recently had their performance re-map on by 1.6D2. Even that is supposed to improve economy slightly. Can't say I have noticed, but I'm not really checking it. Performance wise I am very pleased with it.

List price is £500 but I got it for £350. Guy came to me. Did it on my driveway. He had to take the ECU out to do it, I think because it is locked (late 2011 car?). Couldn't get at it via the OBD. 50% of the re-maps he does are actually vans, for economy.

I'm getting the next service at a main stealer. Interested to find out if they notice it is re-mapped.

iainmd Aug 3rd, 2016 12:06

You'd be better telling them that it is and not to update the ECU as part of the service. The Volvo dealer service includes software updates and your remap may be overwritten by the dealer as a result. If you tell them not to perform any ECU software updates your remap's safe.