Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 2002 Intermittent "Engine Service Required"+ black smoke (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=232172)

hewking Jun 28th, 2015 13:09

D5 2002 Intermittent "Engine Service Required"+ black smoke

Hi
I have volvo s60/d5 160k which had egr valve cleaned last year (10k ago) and catalytic converter changed last month. Recently i noticed that when driving on motorway and accelerating i can see a black smoke in the mirror and also intermittent "engine service required" message which resets itself after several minutes. I don't get this error when driving in the city - only on motorway. The car does not seem to lack power.

I would like to add that the oil got changed 3k ago and the level stays at maximum all the time.

Do I need to clean EGR valve again (i did only 10k since the last time)? Or could changing the catalytic converter caused some problems?

Thanks for any advice.

cheshired5 Jun 28th, 2015 13:39

Look for leaks around your intercooler and look to see if any straight edges are bowing out.

Simon Jones Jun 28th, 2015 22:54

Get your codes read and it will help narrow down the causes. My guess would be leaky intercooler or engine vacuum mounts.

donutdobermann Jun 29th, 2015 22:25

Drain a litre of engine oil as the level is too high. It should be about a third of an inch from the top level mark.My dip stick has X segment graduation marks and it should be up to the third mark from the top.

cheshired5 Jun 29th, 2015 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutdobermann (Post 1939292)
Drain a litre of engine oil as the level is too high. It should be about a third of an inch from the top level mark.My dip stick has X segment graduation marks and it should be up to the third mark from the top.

This isn't required on a Euro3 163 which this thread is about.
We can just fill to the top mark and forget..... like normal engines. :)

donutdobermann Jun 29th, 2015 23:58

Confusing????????????.

cheshired5 Jun 30th, 2015 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutdobermann (Post 1939359)
Confusing????????????.

Welcome to Volvo. :thumbs_up:

hewking Jun 30th, 2015 00:46

Hi just wondering if there was an error would it not stay on the dashboard? Please advise

cheshired5 Jun 30th, 2015 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewking (Post 1939374)
Hi just wondering if there was an error would it not stay on the dashboard? Please advise

It does say on the dash.
It says Engine Service Required and you then need to have the code read to find out more.
Even if the message disappears, a code will have been stored.

volvorocks Jun 30th, 2015 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutdobermann (Post 1939292)

Whilst your model will not be suffering from the rising oil issues like later Volvos, which have to be filled to three quarters only, it could indeed be that your oil level is too high. I do not do my own servicing, although I have had issue with older diesel cars in the past blowing smoke out of the back after a service due to too much oil being put in. Worth a shot.

Regards