Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   PDF delete questions. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=203099)

2wheels Apr 11th, 2014 19:07

PDF delete questions.

Not too concerned with mot as I have a decent mot dude but strictly speaking is it a fail? Also will it make the car any louder? Any other cons apart from a tad extra smoke out the back?

Share your experiences please. Our car will be doing mostly short trips with the odd really long trip say every 8 weeks. Should I consider a PDF delete?

2wheels Apr 11th, 2014 19:08

d p f, bloody autocorrect!

John_C Apr 11th, 2014 20:26

Diesel particulates are carcinogenic, that's the biggest downside. Doesn't seem sensible to me to remove the device designed to keep them out of the atmosphere.

Simon Jones Apr 11th, 2014 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheels (Post 1623267)
Not too concerned with mot as I have a decent mot dude but strictly speaking is it a fail?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...iculate-filter

"This change to the MOT tests makes it clear – if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test."

In the broadest definition of pass or fail, it's pretty firmly in the latter category.

John_C Apr 12th, 2014 10:33

Technically yes, but the problem they have is detecting whether it's there or not.

If the DPF has been gutted but the housing has been left in the exhaust pipe and the ECU has been changed so that it doesn't flag a fault due to the DPF removal an MoT tester has no way to check it. It's a visual check only.

tt82 Apr 12th, 2014 11:24

Can it be removed and still pass an MOT? Yes if it's done in the right way. Though depending on how MOT test for it is the key here. It might start with a visual check but they could change the method of testing in the future!

Should you do it? Well it's highly irresponsbile to remove something that is designed to remove harmful emissions and give yourself and others cleaner air to breath.

Do you need to do it? Well if your having DPF problems and there being caused by the type and amount of driving you do, then you could be one of the many people who mistakenly buy a diesel thinking it will be cheaper to run, when in fact they would be better off with a petrol car.

2wheels Apr 12th, 2014 18:46

yep im one of those people. i do verl lomg trips every 6-8 weeks other than thats its bitting and bobbing.

TiredGeek Apr 12th, 2014 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wheels (Post 1623822)
yep im one of those people. i do verl lomg trips every 6-8 weeks other than thats its bitting and bobbing.

But are you getting "soot filter full" messages?
Mine does roughly 10 miles a day taking wifey to work and back, she does that for 6 weeks or so before we go for a 1000 mile run. Only ever seen the message once and a twenty min drive at 60 on the motorway cleared that...

If you're not getting messages then leave it alone ;)

If you are getting messages you could always try is a bit of low ash two stroke oil in your fuel, about 300ml per full tank. From what I've read on other forums (and we all know how reliable that can be) it raises combustion temperatures and thus lowers the amount of soot created in the first place.
It has to be low ash though otherwise you're just replacing diesel soot with two stroke soot....
Just don't blame me if your engine blows up :) I do know a few people who regularly use TS in the fuel with no adverse effects and they swear they feel the car runs better and has more power. Personally I just use Shell fuel whenever possible.

2wheels Apr 14th, 2014 22:15

That sounds crazy. I run a 2 stroke bike on the road but have to admit I will not be trying that! Lol. Although I have run a capful of 2t oil in 4stroke bikes before to cushion the valves a little but even then it fouled plugs. I haven't even picked the car up yet. If I get any messages I will look into it more. Thanks for your replies