Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Oil leaking onto the top of the transmission (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324849)

Constantinos Apr 15th, 2022 19:40

Oil leaking onto the top of the transmission

Hi everyone.
About 6 months ago, I had my mot and the only advisory I had was for a minor oil leak.
Yesterday, I decided that I was going to get to the bottom of it.
Removing the airbox, I found a lot of oil on top of the transmission, and there was even a bit of a puddle in one of the crevices.
There is no oil leaking underneath the car.
I have a few questions:
First, what is causing this oil leak
Second, is it possible to fix this myself (I only have a few hand tools, such as a socket set and torx set.)
Third, is it even worth it to fix?
Fourth, where do I navigate to in Vida2014d to find the repair manual
I look forward to your help.
Happy Easter!

NMB Apr 16th, 2022 07:24

My suggestion would be to clean it all down and just reassemble. you should then see the cause and the severity of the leak - as you just have a few hand tools i'd put it in a garage once you see how bad the leak is.

Danielpsmith Apr 16th, 2022 08:13

I had an oil leak there after the engine was changed and it was the vacuum pump , it covered the gearbox in oil.

They fitted new seals again and has been fine since.

Constantinos Apr 16th, 2022 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielpsmith (Post 2819257)
I had an oil leak there after the engine was changed and it was the vacuum pump , it covered the gearbox in oil.

They fitted new seals again and has been fine since.

Hi mate.
How would I go about removing the pump in a volvo xc90 d5.
The model year is 2007.

Danielpsmith Apr 16th, 2022 14:09

To be honest I never changed it the garage did it under warranty, but looking at it , it doesn’t seem to hard it is bolted to the engine above the gearbox.

Some new seals should sort it, maybe have a look on YouTube to see if there are any videos, good luck sorting it.

Daniel

Constantinos Apr 16th, 2022 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielpsmith (Post 2819314)
To be honest I never changed it the garage did it under warranty, but looking at it , it doesn’t seem to hard it is bolted to the engine above the gearbox.

Some new seals should sort it, maybe have a look on YouTube to see if there are any videos, good luck sorting it.

Daniel

Hi mate
I looked on YouTube but I could only find people changing the seals on the brake vacuum pump
Do you know if I can find it on Vida?

Danielpsmith Apr 16th, 2022 14:33

I would of thought so Vida shows everything about most cars so definitely have a look 👍

Constantinos Apr 16th, 2022 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielpsmith (Post 2819318)
I would of thought so Vida shows everything about most cars so definitely have a look 👍

I have the vida2014d software but I don’t know where exactly to look to find the manual

Danielpsmith Apr 16th, 2022 17:29

I have never used Vida but there are plenty of very knowledgeable people on here so hopefully they will point you in the right direction 👍

Constantinos Apr 18th, 2022 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2819182)
Hi everyone.
About 6 months ago, I had my mot and the only advisory I had was for a minor oil leak.
Yesterday, I decided that I was going to get to the bottom of it.
Removing the airbox, I found a lot of oil on top of the transmission, and there was even a bit of a puddle in one of the crevices.
There is no oil leaking underneath the car.
I have a few questions:
First, what is causing this oil leak
Second, is it possible to fix this myself (I only have a few hand tools, such as a socket set and torx set.)
Third, is it even worth it to fix?
Fourth, where do I navigate to in Vida2014d to find the repair manual
I look forward to your help.
Happy Easter!

By the way, I have the D5 engine